Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...

There's a famous line I remember from one of my favorite iconic 80's movies ( I think it was Weekend at Bernie's) where the "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful" Pantene commercial airs and an average looking girl subsequently screams "I don't! I hate you because you're a bitch!" and hurls something ( a slice of pizza? a drink?) at the TV.

This topic was explored on CNN and several other sites this week, http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/personal/09/28/tf.friends.with.pretty.women/index.html?imw=Y&iref=mpstwhere the self proclaimed "average looking" author explores the difficulties she's had with "pretty friends"and admits the resentful feelings she harbors toward them. Her main gripe with beautiful women is that they aren't used to hearing the word "No", as they've often wielded their beauty to gain power and influence over their less attractive friends.

She may be right. But then again, how many times do beautiful women get stuck with "the bitch" label for no other reason than outright jealousy?

It's easy to label a pretty girl as a "bitch" and make her an outcast, because then people can justify their feelings of jealousy and insecurity, instead of dealing with the origin of those feelings. A majority of the most beautiful women I know don't have very many female friends, and that's probably no coincidence. What if "average girls" received "the bitch" label because of the lack of male attention they receive? Would they be exiled in the same manner? Not likely.

No one feels sorry for the pretty girl. Maybe they should.

No comments:

Post a Comment